Saturday, April 01, 2006

Random thoughts on living at home

Had a somewhat bad night of sleep. Did yoga to calm myself and clear my mind, and then S called and I couldn't get back to sleep for quite a while. I probably got enough sleep, but it was in weird bursts.

I'm reading an article called "Parents Are the New Friends" by Rachel Hutton from Minnesota Monthly. A coworker handed it to me to read on my break. It's about living at home, with the parents, and the author's reasons for doing so.

I've had this discussion with a couple people in the last few months, and the thing is: we like living at home. Parents are the new friends, it seems, and they like having me around. As the author writes, "What kind of roommate offers to drive you to the airport at 4 a.m.? Or stays by your side if you have the flu?" So true.

I am also thankful for seeing my parents as human beings, not just as "the 'rents." I see them as normal, an example of a marriage, people I can go to for advice and tea and sympathy.

I have thought about moving out, moving closer to St. Kate's, finding a different job in the cities, and who knows what may happen in the coming months. But for now, I am happy to live with them, happy to call them friends.

No comments: