Tuesday, April 18, 2006

In the good graces of Grandma Dolores

S asked me yesterday if I would do him "a favor," and when I said I would try, he asked if I would visit his grandmother. Apparently, she misses seeing me at their house, where S lives with her and his mom. I thought it might be kind of difficult, going to his house without him actually being there, kind of like how it was weird to be on his end of the city, knowing he is not there, but I told him I would nonetheless.

This morning, I took my take-home Catholic Apologetics final exam and then drove to the north side. My "excuse" for stopping by was that S had asked if I would return his library books, so when I got there, his grandma showed me where the books were, and asked if I was "in a hurry," and I had about 20 minutes before I needed to get to work, so I sat down and we chatted for a while.

She showed me some photos from Easter 1987, told me about her upcoming hip replacement surgery, and asked how I was doing. I said that the last few days have been better than the first few, but that I miss S very much. Another family member stopped by, his Aunt Bonnie with her son Mitchell, and she also asked how I am. Mitchell was shy at first, but did let me know that he is four by holding up his fingers, and he opened up once he'd had some M&Ms.

It's been really good getting to know S's family and they've all been very nice to me. His grandma obviously likes me, which is important to me. If she didn't, I would wonder what she would see that would make her think I am wrong for S in any way, but since she does, it means a lot. Mitchell waved to me when I left, and grandma wouldn't let me leave without taking some rice krispy bars to have with my lunch.

No comments: