Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Like a flood

I went upstairs at the library today to grab some travel books (a girl can dream, can't she?) and since it's so rare that I get to actually be in the stacks, some memories flooded back to me.

I remembered shelving up there for four hours at a time after I moved home and the library rehired me. I would put away three or four carts full of books, and feel like I had accomplished something, compared to the seemingly useless drudgery of my former editor job.

I remembered the day S wanted to buy his ticket to Alaska and how he seemed terrified and excited beyond all reason. He was using one of the library's internet stations, and I went to check on him and any new developments in the oncoming adventure. Seeing him with that look on his face was priceless, and I was reminded today how incredible he really is.

No comments: