Monday, February 19, 2007

Reference burnout happening a little too soon

I am hating my homework tonight. I found answers for everything, but dang, it was hard-won. And I'm still going to have to go to campus early tomorrow to look for print sources for all of these, too. Ugh. So many of the sources mentioned in the textbook (damn you Bopp and Smith!) are out of date or there are no online versions available. The text is from 2000, and flash forward seven whole years, and look where we are. We practically live online. I know I shouldn't, but I think I'm going to have to refuse to use anything on microfilm or fiche. I am 25 and I can do that kind of thing.

So I found out that a lot of these questions could be easily answered using Google, but much less easily answered using the approved sources. If I could, I would throw Ulrich's Web out the window. That thing is so slo-o-o-o-w and it's probably because I'm remotely using a remote server based in Illinois, via Dominican University, via St. Kate's, and so on, but wowsers, was that annoying. All to find out that the Nation (magazine) is indexed in about 20 places. Great.

Also, to answer the burning question, have any novels been written aobut librarians, the Literature Resource Center came to the rescue. At least 173 novels (for adults) have been written featuring librarians, according to that search. I wouldn't be suprised if at least half of them are disgruntled.

No comments: