Monday, August 07, 2006

Tag, you're it: the book meme

Taken from the Repressed Librarian.

1. One book that changed your life?

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving, literally put into my hands by Mr. Mortrude, my expository writing teacher at Apollo High School during my senior year. I seriously became a strong believer in destiny, that fate aligns things to happen—no matter what. I still can't shake that notion, years later.

2. One book you have read more than once?

"Disobedience" by Jane Hamilton. I read (or listen to the audio version read by the incomparable Robert Sean Leonard) at least once a year since I first read it. I fall in love with Henry every time, and I want a daughter like Elvira, except I wouldn't want to change a thing about her.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

The Bible.

4. One book that made you laugh?

"The Long Secret" by Louise Fitzhugh, the sequel to "Harriet the Spy." All the characters are so well-drawn for childrens literature, it's astounding.

5. One book that made you cry?

I don't really cry when it comes to literature, movies are more affecting for me, but it's possible I've shed a tear or two when reading any of Jane Austen's novels, particularly "Persuasion."

6. One book you wish had been written? Note: I read this as "One book you wish you had written?" Interpret for yourself as you like.

"A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver" by E.L. Konigsburg, or really any of her books. I especially wish I had come up with all the titles: "About the B'nai Bagels," "The Dragon in the Ghetto Caper," and "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler." Lovely, all.

7. One book you wish had never been written?

I don't really mind that it's been written, but I could not make myself read "Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife" by Linda Berdoll for the life of me, even though it came to me recommended by a good friend. Raunchy + Jane Austen = heavens no! I am a delicate flower, and cannot read such things. Heh.

8. One book you are currently reading?

I am working my way through the Nick Bantock Griffin & Sabine books, and I'm up to the last one. I can't bring myself to read it and finish off this incredible series, which is written as a series of letters back and forth between lovers. The artwork is beautiful, the words are more so.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

I have been meaning to finish reading "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenidies pretty much ever since I had to return it to the library years ago because there were so many requests on it. I've always been "too busy" to pick it up again, and I was at least 1/3 through. Someday...

10. Now tag five people.
Simon, Amanda, Melanie, Jessica, and Angie.

1 comment:

Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

Sweet! I got about 2/3 of the way through Middlesex and didn't want to put it down, but did, becuase it felt like it was the neverending novel and I couldn't take it anymore. I figure at some point I'll pick it up again and trudge through it. It's a pretty amazing book, though.