Saturday, August 05, 2006

Sadness and Truman Capote

Listening to "The Avalanche" by Sufjan Stevens, feeling kind of crummy. I'm not feeling well (lack of sleep? oncoming cold?) and I feel a little sad. I think it's sinking in how Cata is gone, but at least I can always drive to Iowa to see her. It's not like she's back in Colombia or anything.

I have to use different rationalizations for missing different people. Sometimes I tell myself it's not so bad, and sometimes I wallow. I may be wallowing right now.

I've been watching "Capote" when I haven't been sleeping this evening, and I'm really glad I recently watched "In Cold Blood," because this movie really gets into the nooks and crannies of the whole Clutter murders that Truman Capote's story on its own didn't tell. His relationship to the whole story fills it in, makes it make more sense in the grand scheme.

I've long had a fascination with Truman Capote, ever since college when I read most of George Plimpton's biography, which amounted to lots of gossip from that era and social class. I hadn't even read "Breakfast at Tiffany's" when I started reading the bio, but once I had, I had a greater appreciation. I also like the film version of that story, but it's very different, and knowing Capote actually had Marilyn Monroe in mind for Holly Golightly turns my whole Audrey adoration on its head.

Anyway, I recently got my Kurt Halsey order in the mail, and I like it a lot. Don't know what I'm going to do with all of it, but surely someone would like a postcard from me. Melanie? Amanda? Cata? S? Friends, hit me up with your address at beth.ringsmuthATgmailDOTcom.

No comments: