Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Thoughts and prayers appreciated

Here's a quick update on the family news front.

My sister Andrea is in the hospital. She was diagnosed with Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes yesterday, after a long weekend of feeling really crappy. I don't really know too much more than that. She's had symptoms for a while (extreme thirst, inability to fight infections like a cold she's had for two weeks, and this weekend, vomiting) and she thought she might have Type 2 diabetes, which runs in our family. I think her pancreas probably just pooped out on her. Bummer.

I'm optimistic everything will be okay, since she's young and she'll just deal with it. I've been notifying her professors and the appropriate co-workers. I don't think anyone has mass e-mailed our family yet, but maybe I'll do that this evening.

My mom just basically can't handle any more than what she's got going on, and my dad is busy tearing out carpet in our house since we're having a family friend install new carpet today. What timing. Anyway, it's going to be a process of figuring out how to take care of herself, so I'm sure keeping her in your thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks and months would be very much appreciated.

2 comments:

Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

Oy! My my ... my thoughts and prayers are with Andrea, you and your family. My father has had diabetes for years and years, and it also runs in our family. One of my older brother's childhood friends got juvenile diabetes at the age of 10 or so, and my dad mentored him on it. I just wait for the day where I'm diagnosed :) I say that only with a half smile.

I'll be sure to include her in the mi sheberach this week!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info, Beth. I hope she can bounce back soon. Phil is doing great, after having diabetes for a few years now, thanks in large part to his insulin pump. We are praying for her, and will continue to do so.