Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Learning about management from the best (and saying goodbye)

I started my Management of Library and Information Centers class (now hereby known as "Management class" for blog purposes) on Monday night, wherein we discussed "good" managers and "bad" managers, Myers-Briggs, and the "Queen's Croquet Ground" (Chapter 8 of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"). I am definitely pleased about this class and group of classmates, especially since I found out that Liz from my previous class got into this class, and will be in my group for our project! Score.

In our introductions, I freely admitted to the class that this course might be hard for me, since my direct supervisor has given his notice and will be leaving in June, so if we're talking about great managers and I start to get a little misty, they'll know why. I got an "aww" from the class. Really and truly, my boss is a wonderful manager, and I will miss him.

It all came as a bit of a surprise to me, but I know that his job is demanding and I'm trying not to worry about whoever they hire to replace him. I'm sure it will all work out, and having a variety of managers throughout a career is a given variable and I am excited to see what will happen next, as I always am with anything in life.

Excuse any lack of regular posting for the next month and a half as my life is more complicated with driving to St. Paul for class two nights a week and trying to get my homework, social life and work life to mesh.

No comments: