Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Branching out

On Monday, I started reading the first of Mark Crilley's "Miki Falls" series. For a while, I've wanted to give manga a try, but haven't really found a series that caught my attention and seemed like something I wanted to devote some time to—but Crilley's book has some nice things about it: the drawing style is a bit more refined than the average line-drawing manga, it's not in the backwards-style 'original manga' format, and it's only four books for the whole series. I liked the first one so much, I stopped by the library today to pick up my hold on #2.

I also still have another stack of graphic novels to read after my classes are officially done (tonight!). We're having a bit of a pot luck tonight in class, so I got some hummus, carrots and crackers to bring. Yay for being almost done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for reading Miki Falls and for spreading the word about it like this! I'm really glad enjoyed "Spring" and hope you'll enjoy the rest of the series. --Mark

the mercurial helmsman said...

A long time ago Beth used to say she hated manga but I found out that was only because it was harder to shelve and check-in huge stacks of than western books. But she liked graphic novels so it was just a matter of time before she realized the appeal of work like this.